Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Discover the Power of Positive Thinking

I am a glass-is-half-full kind of person. I don't let the rain spoil my long runs, nor do I let bad news send me to bed sulking. I used to think it was just my personality, but now I know that perhaps it's my self-protective nature, too.

Turns out, people with positive emotions are 34 percent less likely to become ill when exposed to a virus and report fewer symptoms when they do succumb, research published in Psychosomatic Medicine notes. Feeling happy releases hormones and proteins that bolster the body's immune reaction to infection.

Being optimistic can also help you save money, according to a study from Duke University in Durham, North Carolina. The reason: Debbie downers assume they can't control the future, so why stash cash?

I know adopting a cheerful frame of mind doesn't always come easily, and I'm not suggesting you adopt a perennially Pollyanna perspective. But considering the plus side of things will keep you happier and healthier. Try these sunny-side-up strategies:

Be proactive: Rather than blame yourself for a problem or feel pity, do something about it. Burned the lasagna? Toss it and order sushi, and tell yourself it's healthier anyway.

See the light: Suffered a setback at work? Ask yourself what you learned from the experience and what new opportunities may arise because of it. Then see this forced freedom as a chance to reinvent yourself.

Start a journal: Jotting down things you're grateful for can help you feel happier about your life. Do it right before bed each night so you go to sleep with a smile on your face.

Leap over tripwires: If you face an obstacle, remind yourself that it's simply a difficult moment that you can, and will, overcome. Remember you will learn from your mistakes. A study from the University of Arkansas at Fayetteville suggests that when you think specifically about a recent flub and how it made you feel, you're likely to do a better job the next time.

0 comments: